Dubai has a light rail system that goes from one end of town to the other. It goes along Sheikh Zayed Road and it is fast, economical and quiet. So quiet in fact that a student recently fell asleep on her way to her parents apartment. She got on the train in the downtown area and missed her stop and end up at the end of the line. She was given a fine for sleeping on the train. 300 AED or about $81. There are 31 items listed in the RTA train rules. Here are just a few:
- AED 2,000 – using security or safety system such as the emergency exits, unless it’s essential
- AED 500 – damaging, sabotaging or tampering with the systems, equipment and seats of public transport means, facilities or services
- AED 300 – Sleeping in passenger shelters or prohibited areas
- AED 200 – carrying weapons, flammable articles or any hazardous material
- AED 100 – Eating, chewing a gum, drinking, causing disturbance or carrying pets (except guide dogs)
So the next time I ride the Metro train, I had better make sure that I get plenty of rest the night before.